Saturday 7 June 2014

Apple and Strawberry cinnamon cake

 
 
This recipe is from my Apple crumble muffin recipe.
You can try this muffin recipe with the crumble here.
 
I wanted to bake a cake and use up my 2 apples that's been sitting in my fruit bowl for ages.
They were too soft and my kids don't like their apples soft.
I was going to bake a butter cake using the apples but I'm not a huge fan of butter cakes.
But I love my muffins and thought I try to bake this in a cake tin.
Who would have thought it was going to be this easy and it tastes so good.
I'm so going to be doing this again and try it with all my muffin recipes.

So here is my new creation of the Apple & Strawberry Cinnamon cake.
No whisking or beating. Very simple and sraight forward.
You need a 8 inch spring form baking tin, line the bottomof the tin.
Preheat the oven at 180c.
 
 
Ingredients:
 
 
 In Bowl A;
120g butter (melted)
100g caster  sugar (more if you like sweet)
2 eggs (beaten)
150g sour cream
(All in one bowl and mix to combine)
 

 In Bowl B;
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
A pinch of salt 
 
 
I have used 2 small apples and a handful of strawberries.
 

 Method:

 Bowl B (dry ingredients) pour in Bowl A (wet ingredients).

 
Fold carefully until mixture have combined.
 

 
Some flour might be still visible, don't worry it will come together once baking.
Don't over fold as it would make the sponge dense.
 
 
Put half the batter in to the baking tin.
 

 
Lay half of the sliced apples on top.
 


 
Add the rest of the batter on top and smooth it off .
 

 
Decorate the top with the rest of the fruits.
 

 
Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 55 minutes.
Check with a skewer to see if it has cook through.
 

 
Wait 5 minutes and release from the cake tin, cool on a wire rack.
 

 
Sprinkle caster sugar over the top.
 
 
 
And serve!!
I love my cakes with custard.
So I poured warm custard over it. It tastes DELICIOUS!!
Can't help to shout out loud!!
 
Another successful bake!
 



7 comments:

  1. Lovely creation! I like it simple and straightforward! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl thank you for stopping by. Yes I love how easy it is and how nice it looks. Great for busy mums that wants to bake something quickly for her guests or just a treat for the family.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandy, i ve followed ur receipe very closely (except tt i ve replaced sour cream with plain yoghurt) but the exterior of e cake appears burnt and hard. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be that your oven is too hot, substituting sour cream won't affect it. Try lowering the temperature and bake longer.

      Delete
  4. Hi, can I replace plain flour with cake flour or self raising flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tee, you can use cake flour and if you want to use self raising flour then leave out the baking powder :)

      Delete