Wednesday 29 October 2014

Spiderman cookies



My little boy is having a birthday party and this year he knows exactly what he wants.
He said he wants a Spiderman cake and cookies.
Hmmm... ok, shall we start with some cookies first?
I love making cookies but I've never made Spiderman ones?

I remember seeing a photo on Pinterest and they used an egg shape cookie cutter to make the Spiderman's head. Great!! I have an egg shape cutter which I bought during Easter to make e
Egg shaped cookies.
So I drew around the cutter as a template and copied a photo I saved from Pinterest
I drew the lines that goes on Spiderman's face. It's not that hard really?
So, lets bake some cookies first.






Ingredients:
115g unsalted butter
110g sugar
1/2 egg
1/2. Tsp. vanilla extract 
210g  plain flour
1/4. Tsp. salt
1/2. Tsp. almond extract (optional but would make them tasty) 

Method:
Whisk lightly the butter & sugar together, until it is combined. Do not over mix or cream it. 

Add egg, vanilla & almond extract, whisk on low speed.

Add flour and combine with your hands until you form a firm dough.

Roll into a ball then flatten it down and place inside a zip lock bag, refrigerate for 1 hour. 

You can refrigerate the dough overnight but leave out at room temperature for 30 minutes before you use it. 

Take out the fridge & roll out about 1/2cm thick and cut out shapes with the cookie cutter.

Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 15 minutes, by chilling it the cookies will keeps its shape when baking.  

Place on a baking tray with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven at 190c for 12-14 minutes.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decorating the cookies

 I've tried making these cookies in 2 versions.
One batch using all royal icing and the other batch by part fondant.
I found the royal icing took way too long as I have to wait for the next day for the icing to dry before I could pipe the black lines so a friend suggest using roll out red fondant just for the face.
I tried the fondant method and I found it so much easier and neater.
But both types of method had no short cut for piping the black web lines for the face, I piped 20 Spiderman cookies free hand!!

The royal icing method

Make up lots of royal icing, I bought a box from the supermarket where I only need to add water to it.
 You need red, black and white icing.





The fondant method

You need:
 Red fondant for the face
Black icing for the web lines
White royal icing for the eyes

I used ready made black icing in a tube as I don't think I can achieve a jet black colour if I made my own.

Roll out a thin layer of red fondant and use the same cookie cutter to cut out the shape, make up some royal icing and brush over the cookie the stick the fondant down.







 And here's the cookies!! I am so pleased with these and so glad to have made it all in a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment